With 11% of the total land area of New Zealand, including Fiordland National Park and Stewart Island, The Southland District Council has the largest land area to manage of any territorial authority. Council not only encompasses the management and improvement of physical assets such as roads, bridges, water supply, cemeteries and parks but also the Southland communities' social, economic, cultural and environmental wellbeing.
Our 200+ staff are diverse in their backgrounds, skillset and location, spread across three Invercargill offices (Forth Street, 20 and 42 Don Street) and seven area offices situated at Riverton, Otautau, Te Anau, Winton, Oban, Lumsden and Wyndham.
Southland District Council offers scope for a rewarding and interesting career in local government under excellent working conditions, in a part of the country which is ideally suited to family life and the pursuit of a wide variety of activities.
About the role
We have an opportunity for a technical specialist to join our building solutions team. The building solutions duty officer provides a secondary level of technical support to building control officers. The building solutions duty officer will not complete inspections or processing, freeing them up to truly support the building control team with a range of tasks.
Your responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- vet building consent and code compliance certificate applications and lodge applications after they have been vetted
- process certificate of acceptance certificates
- research and proactively engage with internal and external stakeholders on tricky or unique building solutions, with the support of the wider team
- answer queries and provide information on building solutions to internal and external stakeholders
- ensure advice provided and building documentation meets the quality and regulatory standards set by the Building Act 2004
- defer decisions to building control officers when required
To be successful in this role you will:
- hold a current or expired competency assessment in processing or inspecting
- be passionate about supporting and sharing your knowledge with the wider team and possess excellent relationship management skills
- be passionate about your personal professional development and eager to further develop your technical knowledge of the Building Act 2004
- possess high attention to detail and organisational skills
- be confident, solutions focused and resilient – we’re looking for an assertive problem solver who enjoys a challenge
What’s in it for you?
We offer a unique opportunity for those with knowledge in the building industry who may have reg 18 qualifications or equivalent that have lapsed. If you want to retain your technical knowledge but step back from inspections and processing this is the opportunity for you.
We recognise that staff are our most valuable asset. We believe in supporting them in their training and development, having competitive remuneration packages which are benchmarked against market rates, and an environment which enables personal growth.
We’re also a flexible workplace that believes in work/life balance. We offer flexible and hybrid working models.
If you’re up for the challenge then please follow the link to download a job description and apply online today.
Applications will be processed as they are received, don’t delay – apply today!